Registered Charity No 1000447
Nationally Listed Buildings
Within the Basingstoke Unparished Area some of the more significant buildings on the list are:
The Willis Museum in the Market Square
The Haymarket Theatre in Wote Street
Laarsens Public House in Wote Street
Lloyds Bank Building in the Market Square
The United Reformed Church in London Street
St Michaels Church in Lower Church Street
Church Cottage in Lower Church Street
Chute House in Lower Church Street
“Goldings” in London Road
The Wheatsheaf Punbic House in Winton Square
The Deane’s Arms Houses in London Street.
The NatWest Bank Building in London Street
The Holy Ghost Chapel ruins in Vyne Road
The Red Lion Hotel in London Street
The Cemetery Lodge in Chapel Hill
Information on most of these buildings can be found by referring to the Town Trail produced by the Heritage Society to be found on this web site .
“Goldings” in London Road
The following Article regarding The Goldings was prepared by Bill Fergie who is a member of the Friends of the Willis Museum and Chairman of the Hampshire Building Preservation Trust. The Article was provided at the time that he gave the Society a conducted tour of Basingstoke’s Timber Framed Buildings.
The ‘List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historical Interest’ is a national register, drawn up by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), on the advice of English Heritage. It comprises a wide variety of buildings and structures of special architectural and/or historic interest. There are currently over 1800 Listed Buildings in the Borough of Basingstoke and Deane. These vary from churches, farmsteads, (barns and granaries etc) cottages and houses, to bridges, telephone kiosks, a lamp post and even a dog kennel.
The Goldings complex seems to have started life in about 1600 as two simple timber framed houses on the London Road frontage. Although the western house (No 3 London Road) was internally altered and refronted in the late 18th or early 19th century its original wooden structure remained largely complete, and is still very much in evidence externally in the west gable wall. Sufficient evidence of the early framing remained in the south wall for this to have been reconstructed as part of the recent refurbishment.
The history of No 5 London Road (Goldings) is much more complex. Shortly after the original timber building was constructed on the London Road frontage two timber framed wings were added at right angles at the rear. In about 1750 the street façade was rebuilt in red brick in the fashionable Georgian style, and the interior reconstructed. The two fine venetian windows at ground level on the street frontage were introduced at this time, and the entrance was retained via the former doorway between them. The only part of the interior to survive in near original condition from this period is the room used as the Mayor’s Parlour when the building was occupied by the former Borough Council. The classical painted panels in the room almost certainly date from this period but the fireplace was replaced at a later phase.
In about 1800 the house was transformed by major extension and alteration to become the structure we know today. It was at this time that the main entrance was moved to the east elevation. Major extensions on the south side, overlooking the park, were built in the fashionable yellow brick and the remainder of the building was also encased in new material, either as conventional brickwork or, on the London Road frontage, in the form of the unusual imitation brickwork known as mathematical tiles. It may be that the colour of the new bricks and the mathematical tiles led to the building being named “Goldings”. The ground floor Drawing Room and Dining Room on the south side of the extension are very impressive rooms and have been restored to their former glory. The south front was never completed, as a symmetrical facade, for reasons which are not clear and the western section has now been added as part of the recent construction in matching materials and details.
The present Memorial Park was formerly the private park to the house. The ha-
The Haymarket Laarsens The United Reformed Church
Wheatsheaf, Winton Square St Michaels Curch
Deanes Almshouses White Hart, London Rd Chute House
Church Cottage Old Cemetery Lodge Old Jays Farmhouse
Skippetts House Old Anchor Inn Red Lion