Introducing a new book, by Barbara Large - This absorbing book explores all aspects of life in that feared institution, the workhouse. From the staff who lived and worked there to the poor souls kept in the medical wing, it reveals a side of Basingstoke that has long since been forgotten. It covers the problems of administration and oversight, the stresses and strains suffered by the new, untrained and inexperienced officers who had to make it work, and the sometimes excruciating difficulty of getting every detail sanctioned by London. It also details how caring for the destitute and unfortunate often depended on the personalities of the people in charge, and how the Poor Law Union became a whole new tier of local government, still operating today. It is available from bookshops and on-line, list price £12.99
Basingstoke Heritage Society AGM
Our AGM this year was held at Church Cottage on 28th March and after the formalities we were honoured to have Barbara Large give a talk about the Basingstoke Workhouse and Poor Law Union. Barbara has published a book (see item right) with all her interesting research into the Workhouse, which was in Basing Road, roughly where the Hampshire Clinic is today. The Workhouse Infirmary survived as the Basing Road hospital for many years and was finally demolished in the 1970s. Workhouses were contentious places, so it is interesting to read this comment on the visit of a returning inmate, John Soper. The memory came from Thomas Arter, who was master of Basingstoke Workhouse for 20 years from 1896. “One inmate, John Soper, the nephew of one-time mayor of Basingstoke John Burgess Soper, was in the workhouse as a child. In 1913, this John Soper visited the workhouse; by this time, living in the USA, he had achieved the degree of MD, was surgeon to a railway company, a coroner, and serving as Mayor of his town for the fourth time – one of the happier endings for an inmate of the workhouse”. (Hampshire Field Society September 2008).
… and a comment from about 1940, about Basing Road hospital, which had been the Workhouse Infirmary. Millie Day lived for many years in Phoenix Park Terrace. Tally-Ho Lodge is in Cromwell Road.
“Dr Bethell lived in Tally-Ho Lodge. Pre NHS. Her mother got ill with cancer and had to go into the Basingstoke Infirmary in Basing Road – her mother was given tea in an enamel mug and she took in a china one. The cost of this was 30s a week and the family (her brothers) had to pay for this, but not her as she was married by then
The Lamb former pub, Hackwood Road Planning ref:- 04288
Planning consent has been sought for the demolition of The Lamb, seen below in this image before the 1903 re-development by Farnham United Breweries. The development will consist of 5 apartments, 1 maisonette and 4 semi-detached houses on Hackwood Road. We have given a lot of thought to this application. The pub is described as ‘derelict’ and the small building to the south end of the site in Hackwood Road, which was stables, had its slates removed earlier this year. However, the Lamb is a notable building within the Fairfields Conservation Area and a landmark. We will make the following points to the Development Control committee:-
We think an effort should have been made to develop the existing building and retain the landmark.
We have pointed out that parts of the 1903 building are from the earlier building, which we think dates to about 1875 – the single-storey building with triple window and ‘porthole’ and the small stable block on the extreme left of the photo.
We have pointed out both to the council and to the county archaeologist that there are air raid shelters on the south wall of the site. These must be recorded and/or preserved.
We have mentioned issues with sightlines of vehicles exiting the site onto Cliddesden Road.
Update May 10th – It does seem that we must lose this building. The state of it is beyond reasonable repair. We regret that the council did not get it onto the Local List when we nominated it in September 2015. Although this might not have made any difference, it is a message to the developer from the outset that they are proposing for a significant building. We have recently had a meeting with conservation officers and hope that the List will be revived.
It is with great pleasure that we can now show the maquette for the sculpture which
will go into Market Place in July. Adam Roud is the very talented sculptor - he is
a former student of BCOT. The sculpture will be cast at Morris Singer. If townspeople
want to subscribe to the cost of the sculpture, there will be an opportunity to do
so, although most of the money has been raised privately. The commission was by
Hampshire Cultural Trust, but the impetus has come from a committee, chaired by Maria
Miller, where we have been represented from the outset. This will be a lasting legacy
for the town.
New Signage, Top of the Town.These are the boards we worked on with the council last year. There are 4. We hope you like them.
Blue Plaque proposed … … “Air raid in south-east England town” was how the Hants and Berks Gazette of 23rd August 1940 described the bombing in Basingstoke which had taken place exactly one week before, on Friday 16th August ….see more
Heritage Open Days
Both St Michael’s and All Saints’ Churches opened their bell towers to visitors…….see more
Many of our churches have fascinating historic scratched or drawn images…….see more The Victoria County History Projecthas published its survey of Steventon bringing the 1912 survey not only up to date, but with much more information………see more
The Peace Gardenwill go into this corner of War Memorial Park as a space for quiet and meditation as we reach the 100th anniversary of the end of WW1 in 2018. Both War Memorial and Eastrop Park were awarded the Green Flag again this year. The society was represented at the ‘inspection’ and able to talk about proposals for this anniversary.
< Location of the new park for 2018
Downsland Parade – notable buildings in the Brookvale West conservation area.
Below is the text of a letter the society had published in the Gazette:- Downsland Parade, Worting Road Your report on the alterations to a retail unit at Downsland Parade (13th October) illustrates the casual attitude some occupiers have to planning restrictions in Conservation Areas. These areas are designated by the council because there are significant and interesting architectural assets, worthy of preserving for future generations. Restrictions on planning and redevelopment are on the council’s website and it is the business of the new occupier or owner to be aware of and comply with the directions. To quote from the council’s own appraisal for the Brookvale conservation area: “Downsland Parade is an intact Art Deco styled small parade of shops with flats above Furthermore, as recently as 2009, the council grant-funded the signage for the Parade as a reflection of the building’s prominence and importance to the character and appearance of the conservation area. Basingstoke Heritage Society keeps a watchful eye on development proposals in the town and members attend Development Control committee meetings to add our objections (as we did in this instance). In this particular case, further works were carried out even after the occupier was well aware of the conservation area restrictions. We welcome the council’s decision not to permit these works and are grateful for the strong support from ward councillor, Mike Westbrook. Let’s hope in this case that the owner of the unit will make good the damage done without the need for enforcement measures.
This art-deco inspired row of shops and flats date from the mid-1930s. A few years ago, the council’s conservation officer worked hard to bring uniformity back into the group of shops; good quality sign-writing was used to identify the individual shops. A few months ago, new owners of one of the main end shops ripped out the old frontage without any planning or conservation area consent. Ian and Cathy Williams raised an immediate objection and council officers went to put a halt to the work. A new frontage has been installed. A retrospective planning application has been refused but this is being appealed by the new shop owners.
You would think that while sign-writing ‘Londis’, you might just glance at the other shop sign fascias and you might notice that they were all done in an ‘art-deco’ style, and then you might just respect the building. Sigh!
If a Basingstoke resident why not Join us? - We need your support
Help us by joining the Basingstoke Heritage Society today.
Annual subscription - £5.00 per person, or £6 per household
(Students and under 18’s FREE)
Membership Benefits: Quarterly Newsletter Occasional free talks, walks and visits to places of local interest Opportunity to attend the Society’s monthly Business Meetings & make views known Opportunity to contribute to submissions on issues of concern Support the protection of your locality from inappropriate development
To download an application form go to the ‘contact us’ page.
The Society focuses its attentions on the town centre area of the Borough where residents have no Parish Councillors to represent them. Particular emphasis is on the six conservation areas and any surrounding area likely to impact on the town. Subject to this the Societies objectives are -
To promote high standards of planning and architecture.
To inform the public in the geography, history, natural history and architecture in the area.
To secure the preservation, protection, development and improvement of features of historic or public interest.
You can follow and contact us on facebook by following this link.
The 2017 Festival will begin on Friday 16th June and end on Sunday 9th July. Lots
going on – pick up a programme, which will be available soon.
There are many events taking place this summer as part of the celebration of Jane
Austen’s life in Hampshire to coincide with the 200th anniversary of her death on
July 18th 1817. We have been involved in a tiny number of them and give details below
We produced the leaflet, which is a trail around the Basingstoke she would have known.
The 1762 map provides a useful guide for a writer born in Steventon in 1775. You
can get a leaflet from the museum or the library or download it here
Other events with the society’s involvement.
Thursday June 15th
‘Jane Austen in Basingstoke’talk by Debbie Reavell for the Friends of the Willis
at The Willis Museum at 7.30. Free to members, but non-members must book Tel: 465902
(daytime) at least 24 hours in advance. £2
2) Walks led by Debbie Reavell
Saturday 24th June
‘Jane Austen. Basingstoke as she knew it.’ for the Basingstoke Festival - details
have to wait until the Festival programme is published along with many other Austen-related
Thursday20th July at 10.30
Jane Austen in Basingstoke. A Guided Walk. Debbie is also doing a walk for the Discovery
Centre. Book through the Discovery Centre. £4. 01256 478670
Jane Austen in Basingstoke. A Guided Walk. Debbie is also doing a walk for the Discovery
Centre. Book through the Discovery Centre. £4. 01256 478670
3) Exhibition: ‘Retail and Romance; Jane Goes to the Ball’
Saturday July 29thThe exhibition transfers from Winchester to The Willis with, we
understand, some changes to give it a ‘Basingstoke’ twist. It will be called ‘Retail
and Romance; Jane Goes to the Ball’ and will note that Basingstoke is primarily where
she danced. I guess the romance is because she had her flirtation with Tom Lefroy
at a ball at Ashe, and a not-so-romantic one with Harris Bigg-Wither when she returned
from Bath for a Ball at Manydown.
And finally… … would you like to join the many who have donated for the sculpture,
which is entirely funded from private subscription? You could then claim to own a
finger or a foot!! If so, then follow this link to this National Funding Scheme.
Even £5 would help.
Oh, and don’t forget the ‘Sitting with Jane’ bookbenches, which are being installed
all around the Borough from June 13.th
On July 18th, the first ever sculpture of the author will be unveiled in Basingstoke’s
Market Place. Details to follow as plans are finalised.
‘Sitting with Jane’is a public art trail made up of 25 ‘BookBenches’ in and around
Basingstoke, each uniquely designed and painted by a professional artist with their
personal interpretation of a Jane Austen theme. The trail will link together locations
– all with free public access. It will be in place between June and September 2017,
and will be accompanied by a free to download app and a trail guide. Each bench will
be sponsored. After, the benches will all be auctioned in aid of the Ark Cancer Centre
Charity, to leave a valuable lasting legacy in the region.
‘Sitting with Jane’ is part of the Hampshire Cultural Trust’s celebration of Jane
Austen’s life in Hampshire.
The Peace Garden. An update on this project – the Rooksdown Club will donate a bust
in bronze of Sir Harold Gillies, whose work in Basingstoke during WW2 repairing the
physical damage done by war, through ground-breaking plastic surgery, deserves an
acknowledgement. The Peace Garden will be an excellent location for this tribute.
Sculptor Julia Beer working on the Gillies’ bust.
May’s Bounty Cricket Ground – new Pavilion. The Basingstoke and North Hants Cricket
Club need to enhance facilities in the pavilion at May’s Bounty and it may end up
looking like this. John May provided the ground and built the first pavilion, much
altered since then. Maybe the new facilities will lead to some County fixtures being
played in the town again ..
May’s Bounty in the 1960s. Photo by Robert Brown
The former Hop Leaf pub, Church Street – is to be a café and flats. We had included
information in the Town Trail about an old, possibly Jacobean fire place and overmantle.
However, the council’s conservation officers have visited and it is not there. Just
a 19th century basket grate. It is a listed building because of its age, but the
internal features would not have warranted listing. Once known as The Black Boy,
it had a small wooden sculpture on the building, now in The Willis. For its history,
you’ll have to get Ken Smallbone’s book!!
Young Archaeologists. Basingstoke Archaeological and Historical Society is planning
a new and exciting Archaeology Club aimed at 8-16 year olds in the Basingstoke area.
If you know any young people who would be interested and become the next generation
of this fascinating work, then contact BHS using the ‘contact us’ tab above
Basingstoke Union Workhouse -if you missed Barbara Large’s talk at the AGM and would
like to hear it, then she is doing it again on May 20th in the Barn Education Room,
Basing House at 2.00pm. It is extremely interesting both from a local and national
point of view.
Hampshire Houses. Edward Roberts, an acknowledged authority on Hampshire's wonderful
timber-framed houses, has recently updated his book on Hampshire Houses 1250 - 1700
with about 70 further properties. This book is stuffed full of photos and diagrams
and is essential reading for anyone with any interest in how our housing has developed
over the centuries.
The Bolton Arch. This was an entrance to Hackwood Park before the M3 was built and
is now an entrance to Crabtree. It used to look like this and the arch was added
to Hackwood by architect Lewis Wyatt around 1819-1820. This is the same architect
who designed the former Town Hall, now The Willis Museum, which was a much more elegant
structure before the Victorians got at it. Curious to find out why the arch looked
like this, I discovered that it was very fashionable to model structures on Classical
ones and this one was based on The Choragic Monument of Thrasyllus from the Parthenon
in Athens. The Bolton arms from the top of the arch are no longer there.
18th Century Goldings and Francis Russell. A lucky search produced some interesting
historical detail about Francis Russell, one of the earliest occupiers of Goldings.
He was solicitor to the Duchy of Lancaster and then Solicitor to the Board of Commissioners
for the Affairs of India. He died in 1795 and his will refers to ‘my mansion house
and place called Goldings or Goldsplot in Basingstoke, my present country residence.’
His wife Anne survived him – dances in Goldings are mentioned in Anne Lefroy’s letters
and also in Eliza Chute’s pocket books. George Austen visited here. And then Debbie
found 2 images of him – a painting in the British Library and an engraving in the
National Portrait Gallery, both with scant or incorrect information, which we have
been able to add to.
Gone but not Forgotten. Basingstoke inns and pubs.
Genealogist and Local Historian, Ken Smallbone has published this book on Basingstoke’s
inns, hotels and pubs. It’s a fascinatingly detailed book whether you remember these
places or not, but if you don’t, locations are well-described. To get a copy, contact
us through the contact tab above.
‘The Mysterious Miss Austen’ is the title of the new exhibition which has opened
in Winchester’s Discovery Centre. The exhibition, co-curated by Dr Kathryn Sutherland,
noted Jane Austen academic, and Louise West of Hampshire Cultural Trust, one time
curator of Jane Austen’s House Museum in Chawton. The most fascinating part of the
exhibition are the 5 portraits of Jane Austen, of which 2 at least, are definitely
of her. One, a slight image of her done by her sister, Cassandra, and the other a
back view of her sitting outdoors, also by Cassandra. The later images, which we
may be familiar with, date from later in the 19th century. Another exhibit is a pelisse
coat – a light silk housecoat (although they could be worn outdoors) is on show and
this is believed to have belonged to Jane. The exhibition runs until 24 July. Also
on show in the Winchester Discovery Centre is another exhibition called ‘Jane’s Winchester:
Malady and Medicine’. This is little more than some contemporary images of Winchester
and asks the question what medicine could do for a sick person in the 1800s. (Not
a great deal is the answer). There is a mention of the Winchester doctor who treated
her – Dr Giles King Lyford, but it doesn’t mention the fact that he was the nephew
of Basingstoke ‘man-midwife’, Dr John Lyford, who was the Austen family doctor during
the Steventon years. On 29 July, Hampshire Cultural Trust’s second Jane Austen 200
exhibition opens in The Willis in Basingstoke and reflects Jane’s strong connection
with the Borough of Basingstoke and Deane. It will be called ‘Retail and Romance.
Jane goes to the Ball. Well worth a trip to Winchester.